chavarahead
Untitled Document

 
Untitled Document
 Prized Treasures of St Chavara

There are the exhibits of the items related to the life of Saint Kuriakose Elias Chavara 

 
Cross of Saint Chavara
 
 A Pinch of Hair of Saint Chavara

Used by Saint Kuriakose Elias Chavara at the time of his first profession as religious on 8th December 1855 and using personally for many years. The remains of this Holy Cross used by Saint Chavara , found in his grave. It is taken out and now preserved as a relic at Mannanam, the Mother House of CMI Congregation.

 

 

A pinch of hair of Saint Chavara was taken by a seminarian, Varkey Muttathupadathu, a disciple of Saint Chavara which, then, was tied together by a golden thread and piously kept with him. While Saint Alphonsa Muttathupadathu was seriously ill, this holy relic served her to pray to Saint Chavara for a cure. She was miraculously cured. Now it is preserved at Mannanam.


 

Cot of Saint Chavara
 
The hand-written letters

The cot used by Saint Kuriakose Elias Chavara

 

 

 The very important and valuable hand-written letters of Saint Kuriakose Elias Chavara


 
Chair of Saint Chavara
 
Bireta
The wooden Chair used by Saint Kuriakose Elias Chavara 
 
This cap was used to be worn by Saint Chavara and other priests during Holy Eucharistic Celebration

 
Vallakkasera
 
Wooden Press
A special chair fixed on boats and used by Rev. Fr. Thomas Porukkara, Saint Chavara and others to travel to and from Mannanam
 
The first catholic press in Kerala founded by Saint Chavara in 1846.

 
Sanskrit School
 
Country Boat of Saint Chavara
This is the first Catholic Sanskrit school in Kerala established by Saint Kuriakose Elias Chavara in 1846. The starting of this school was the basic step towards 100% literacy in Kerala.
 
Saint Kuriakose Elias Chavara used a country Boat ( A small type of boat famous in Kerala especially in Kuttanadu made of special wood) to travel, it is kept in Mannanam. 

 

 

Corridor of Chavara Room
 
Pictures of Saints on the roof of the church
The certified documents of favors received by the pilgrims as well as those of the faithful are also placed on the walls of the corridor.
 
All round the roof of the octagon can be seen pictures of several saints with whom the Eastern and Carmelite tradition and the religious life of the Carmelite Congregation have an intimate association. They illustrate the great devotion of Saint Chavara and of the early fathers of the CMI Congregation to the Eastern Church Fathers as well.
 
Footer